Border Patrol Child Care AssistanceU.S. Customs and Border Protection Child Care Fee Assistance

In today’s world, the cost of Child Care often consumes a sizeable portion of an employee’s take-home pay. FEEA Child Care Services, Inc. (FCCS), which is an independent Virginia-based small business, had partnered with approximately seventeen federal agencies (which includes the U.S. Custom and Border Protection) to oversee Congressional authorized Child Care subsidy programs.


What Child Care Fee Assistance Programs Are Available?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection Child Care Subsidy Program (CBP Childcare Subsidy Program)

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection Child Care Subsidy Program is available to all full time U. S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) employees that have an adjusted gross income of no more than $144,000. (Your adjusted gross income is the combined income of the child’s parents/guardians that is shown on the Federal IRS tax forms as their AGI; line 37 on IRS Form 1040). The child you are wanting to receive Child Care fee assistance for must fall under one of the following classifications:

  • They must be your biologic child, or an adopted child, or a foster child
  • The child must be under the age of 13 (or if they are disabled 18 years or younger)

Other eligibility requirements for the subsidy program that must be met is:

  • The Child Care provider must be licensed and/or regulated by state and/or local authorities and can include summer camp (day camp only) and before and after case.
  • Your spouse or domestic partner must not be receiving a Child Care subsidy from any other federal/state agency or the U.S. military
  • If both parents are CBP employees, there will only be one subsidy granted per family
  • Your spouse or domestic partner is required to have a full-time job or be enrolled in school full time

How The Border Patrol Child Care Subsidy Program Work

The USS Child Care Subsidy Program provides up to $400 per month for each family, and subsidies are paid after Child Care has been provided for your child at the end of the month and payment will go directly to the Child Care provider.

$120,000 OR LESS $400.00
$120,001 – $144,000 $300.00
OVER $144,000 $0

How do I apply to the Program?

Before you begin the application process for Child Care fee assistance download, complete and scan the following forms:

  • OPM Form 1643 (Subsidy Application) (PDF)
  • OPM Form 1644 (Provider Information) (PDF)

Also, before you start filling out the application gather your PDF copies or scan into PDF files the following documents:

  • Two of the most recent paystubs for each parent or guardian that is in your household
  • A signed copy of the most recent Federal Income Tax Return for each parent or guardian that ins your household
  • A copy of the Child Care Provider’s current license or a state of compliance with state and/or local Child Care Regulations
  • A copy of Child Care Provider’s Fee Schedule
  • If your spouse/partner is a student, a copy of enrollment documents is required to verify they are full time students.
  • A completed W-9 from your Child Care Provider
  • A copy of the SF-50 for the full time SSS employee

You can click this link to apply for the Child Care subsidy program.

How Is My Application Processed?

  • FCCS processes applications in the order in which they are received. They’re dedicated to responding to all applicants within ten business days.
  • You will receive an award letter that explains the details of your program, which must be signed and returned until any Child Care subsidy invoices will be accepted. You can return your signed award letter to either or fax to 202-559-1380. They ask to choose one or the other not both. If you have been denied for the Child Care subsidy program you will receive an email explaining why.

How are My Child Care Payments Made?

When your invoices are filled out correctly and completely, then payment will be processed within ten business days of receipt. You will receive an email notifying you that payment has been made by your Child Care provider.

Please be advised that if any information that you have submitted for the purpose of qualifying for Child Care subsidy you must notify FCCS immediately. If any of the following has changed you are required to reach out to FCCS:

  • A change in your address, email, and telephone number
  • Separation from the Agency
  • A change in your spouse’s work, training, or school schedule
  • A change in the status of your marital/domestic partnership
  • A change in your Child Care provider’s status as a licensed and regulated Child care provider
  • A change in the status of the child for whom Child Care is being provider for (e.g., does not attend Child Care anymore or their rate of attendance has changed)

How to register a new child into the Child Care program?

To register another child that’s new to the Child Care subsidy program complete a new OPM form with that child’s information as well another Form 1664. (please do so even if the Child Care provider is the same as another child). Return both forms, in addition to copies of the Child Care provider’s license and rate sheet to or fax to 202-559- 1380.

How to get re-certified for Border Patrol Child Care Subsidies?

By April 30th of each year, all enrolled employees in the U. S. Customs and Border Protection Child Care Subsidy Program must do the following:

  • Submit a copy of their signed tax return and if married filing separately submit both copies
  • Your two most recent pay stubs as well as your spouse/partner if applicable
  • Submit an updated provider rate sheet
  • Submit all documents email to or fax to 202-559-1380.

Please note that if the required documents are not received by April 30th of every year, then your Child Care subsidy will end, and you will have to submit a new qualifying application, and acceptance will depend on if agency funding is available.